Thread: Welcome to the Caves of Qud beta.

Welcome to the Caves of Qud beta.

Welcome to Caves of Qud! It's not your everyday far-future, post-apocalyptic roguelike. Here are the important links:

Caves of Qud - the game executable itself.
    .NET 2.0 - the .NET 2.0 redistributable in case you need it
    CoQ version history - whenever bbucklew posts a new build he posts the patch notes here
    Caves of Qud Reference Guide - a reference guide written by beta tester kilmarath

Please post any bugs you find in the Bug Reports forum (just use one of the existing posts as a template). This is the best way to help us get bugs fixed; we may not log bugs posted elsewhere. One important note: when you receive an error in game, its text is automatically copied to the clipboard. So when you post the bug, just ctrl+v to paste the bug text into your post.

Please give us as much feedback as you can. We appreciate all of it. Also please note that while there's a ton of functionality in the game at the moment, there are also countless bugs and issues, several quest lines have yet to be implemented, descriptions are missing, mutations are a work in progress, etc. We're some ways off from our final vision of the game, but we're on track and hopefully you'll help us get there. Anyway, most importantly, have fun!

Caves of Qud ZIP - In ZIP form if you'd prefer not to use an installer.

Known issues heads up:

Personally, I'd suggest using the "Caves of Qud - OpenGL" shortcut that is placed in the start menu over the "Caves of Qud - Console" shortcut. This will provide a consistant game experience. Terminal fonts are sometimes variant in a way I haven't figured out how to control, and it makes the display much harder to interpret than intended. Just running XRL.exe directly will default to OpenGL mode. You can also include a "-filter" paramater or use the "Caves of Qud - OpenGL Filtered" if you'd like the font antialiased. If you have problems with the OpenGL display for some reason, you can use the Console mode which should be broadly supported.

Issue: If you're running as a non-admin user in windows 7 or Vista, you may have issues with the default program files directory. A normal user doesn't have write permission there, and you'll get some exceptions when it tries to save games or high scores, or the like.
    Solution: I would suggest launching the game administratively, or installing to a folder where your non-admin user has write access.

Issue: I don't have a numpad!
    Solution: Go into the game main menu (escape once you've started a game), and go to keybinding. Hit F2 to rebind to the laptop (hjkl) defaults, or rebind your directional keys to whatever you want.

Issue: I ran the installer but it didn't seem to fix my problem.
    Solution: Make sure there's no copy of xrl.exe running, the installer will fail to overwrite the game silently at the moment, and won't update the files that are in use.

I get an IOError when saving, or I get a Prognition.SAV isn't found: I'm bad a programming and I'm creating saves under program files in Vista and Windows 7. Run as administrator, or re-install outside of program files (c:\games\coq or whatever)

My screen is all black or all white and nothing happens: Post your video card in the Freehold bug reports forum, and then try the 'Caves of Qud - Console' shortcut, it will probably work till I can fix these issues. If you used the zip and don't have shortcuts, just make a new shortcut to xrl.exe with the -console command line argument.

The font is hideous: Try the OpenGL Filtered shortcut. (or add -filtered to the arguments of a shortcut to xrl.exe)

I resized my screen now it's even more hideous: Download the latest and hit escape once you're in-game. Select the "reset aspect ratio" option and it should automatically resize based on your width to a correct aspect ratio.