Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Your First Impressions!

Post Your First Impressions!

Thanks for participating in the Sproggiwood beta!

In this thread, please post your first impressions of the game. What do you like? What don't you like? What is too easy or too hard? Feel free to start your own thread if you'd like to elaborate on a particular topic.

Played on a PC, but feels perfect for a mobile device. Was somewhat confused at being able to see diagonally into adjoining rooms but not move diagonally into them (or at all) but I think that's probably more due to my being used to roguelikes as a genre already. Really enjoyed the emphasis on the "puzzle" aspects of roguelikes, although this did make it feel less like an adventure and more like a problem solving exercise. This did make the seeming randomness of health regen somewhat irritating - an unexpected and unwanted bit of chance in an otherwise deterministic game. As an additional criticism, the info dumps from Sproggi felt a bit... info-dumpy. It's cute, and I like the story being established, but I felt like the verbosity was actually getting in the way of my enjoying the game once I had a handle on the mechanics and plot (so basically immediately.)

Feels like a solid beta, underlying game mechanics are mostly good. A couple of annoyances. I'd do my best to make sure this didn't wind up getting lumped into the same category as Pixel Dungeon in the Play store.

Great; thanks for the feedback! Any other specific annoyances you noticed that we could clean up?

Whole idea is great! Played for an one hour on PC and want it more after work. I hope it will never be stopped.
    P.S. Sorry for my awry English. I trying do my best!

Quote Originally Posted by Unormal View Post
    Great; thanks for the feedback! Any other specific annoyances you noticed that we could clean up?
    Only other thing that comes to mind is the village screen, but I cheated to build that out so I don't know that it's a valid criticism. I didn't feel that it was game-y enough. It basically fills the role of the upgradeable keep in Rogue Legacy, right? "This is how you unlock and upgrade classes" could have been more effectively telegraphed.

Just tried the game on PC and I really like where it is headed. The only little thing that has jumped out at me so far was having a confirmation to spend gold (click item, get description of item, click buy) but not for spending gems. I was trying to decide between the weapon and armor upgrades, and I clicked the armor to see if there were some stats or something, which caused me to buy the armor. Other than that, I can't wait to see how the town building progresses and try some of the later dungeons.

Also, if I read the email correctly, this round of testing is browser and ios? I tried getting it on an ios device but testflight said there are no builds available. I don't know if that's an issue or if it's just not up yet, but I figured I would mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by cephalocidal View Post
    Only other thing that comes to mind is the village screen, but I cheated to build that out so I don't know that it's a valid criticism. I didn't feel that it was game-y enough. It basically fills the role of the upgradeable keep in Rogue Legacy, right? "This is how you unlock and upgrade classes" could have been more effectively telegraphed.
    Thanks for the feedback, Cephalocidal. Right, it fills a similar role to the upgradeable keep. Are you saying you'd like that to be more explicitly stated?

Quote Originally Posted by waaden View Post
    Also, if I read the email correctly, this round of testing is browser and ios? I tried getting it on an ios device but testflight said there are no builds available. I don't know if that's an issue or if it's just not up yet, but I figured I would mention it.
    Hey Wade, I just posted a build with your device added to the profile.

Before you can download a build, first you must register a device on testflight, and I have to add it to our app provisioning profile and post a new build. Just the way iOS apps work!

Quote Originally Posted by hand of luke View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, Cephalocidal. Right, it fills a similar role to the upgradeable keep. Are you saying you'd like that to be more explicitly stated?
    Couldn't hurt. It's ultimately your game, but as it was when I played it the little village seemed like it was trying to come off as a more organic thing than it really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Unormal View Post
    Is there a way to change the size of the game screen? It's too big for my laptop's screen as it is now, and I have to scroll up and down to see everything.

That annoyance aside, the game seems promising so far (I'll try to write a more detailed report later). I'm doing my best to judge it for what it is, and not be like "Man, they set aside COQ for this. This game better rock on toast!"