Thread: Beginner's Guide

Beginner's Guide

I wrote one: http://cavesofqud.wikia.com/wiki/Beginner%27s_Guide

Please let me know if there's anything wrong in the guide, or if there's something important I've missed, or if you have any other suggestions for the guide.

Well done, you've obviously put a lot of effort into this. I just skimmed it for now, anyway here are some comments:

Harvestry: I usually don't get harvestry, and I'm certainly not fond of witchwood. But it's a great thing to know for a starting player. Also worth mentioning, perhaps, that arconauts start with mystery meat, which heals all wounds. Remember to disable autoeating in the configuation

"As a rule of thumb, avoid having any stats below 16." I don't necessarily agree with that. For some builds, stat dumping is good. Wil and Ego are mainly important to espers, IMHO. A beginner should probably give at least a few points to each, but if you're an arconaut with night vision and triple-jointed, I think it's better to leave Str, Wil and Ego at 12-14 and sink extra points in Agi, Int and Tou (and get Shank asap). This is unless you are aiming for Ego/Willpower related skills, of course! The rule of thumb, I'd say, is to see which attributes are the bonuses of the class you want to play, and maximize those attributes with even more points.

Stat info Very thorough Much of this info would be nice to put in a more visible place, as well. There's lots of interesting research that should definitely not be hidden away in the beginner's guide! Maybe move some of this to the "Attributes" page, and add a link in the guide itself: "See here for a more in-depth description of attributes." It may be a bit too deep for a beginner's guide.

"If you're a mutant, each level of willpower will lower a mutation's cooldown by 5%": This is only true for mental mutations, right?

Castes: I'm partial to agility-types myself, and found Eunuch to be an excellent caste to unlock the game in the beginning. They start with a pistol and pistol skills, and well as Shank, which is the essential skill for (most) short blade wielders. I don't think Consul is the right advice as a generic one-size-fits-all. For early survivability, maybe Praetorian? You can leave in the advice to try the Consul, though. It's true that Proselytize is a powerful and fun-to-use skill. On an even more general level, true kin are really tailored around skills, eg. play an Artifex to try out tinkering, Fuming god-child for some fascinating stuff, etc.

"This [mutation points] is the only way physical mutations can be improved". I'd mention/repeat here mental mutations level up automatically if you have a high enough Ego.

Anyway, very nice that you're giving the wiki some love (been thinking I should do the same, actually).

As always,
    Minotauros

Quote Originally Posted by AgingMinotaur View Post
    Harvestry: I usually don't get harvestry, and I'm certainly not fond of witchwood. But it's a great thing to know for a starting player. Also worth mentioning, perhaps, that arconauts start with mystery meat, which heals all wounds. Remember to disable autoeating in the configuation
    I'm surprised to learn witchwood bark isn't universally loved. Just looked it up, and each one's worth 1d16+24 points of healing. Add to that the fact that you can eat multiple barks in a single turn and that you can cure confusion with yuckwheat stems, and it becomes a great way to get out of a tough situation. Also, I didn't know that about mystery meat. Thanks for letting me know.

"As a rule of thumb, avoid having any stats below 16." I don't necessarily agree with that. For some builds, stat dumping is good. Wil and Ego are mainly important to espers, IMHO. A beginner should probably give at least a few points to each, but if you're an arconaut with night vision and triple-jointed, I think it's better to leave Str, Wil and Ego at 12-14 and sink extra points in Agi, Int and Tou (and get Shank asap). This is unless you are aiming for Ego/Willpower related skills, of course! The rule of thumb, I'd say, is to see which attributes are the bonuses of the class you want to play, and maximize those attributes with even more points.
    Great chance you know better here than me, since I always play espers. The only real danger I know of from low ego on non-espers is that it makes it harder to buy equipment from Tam before leaving Joppa. Having bad equipment makes the first few minutes of a new character very hard, at least for me. I'd like people who read the guide to at least survive that long. Other than that, I'd agree that ego should be a dump stat for non-espers. Willpower is actually pretty bad for everyone, even espers. I usually take it so I can get Iron Mind and Lionheart. That, and out of habit from before I knew it was bad. I'll probably add caveats about ego and willpower.

Stat info Very thorough Much of this info would be nice to put in a more visible place, as well. There's lots of interesting research that should definitely not be hidden away in the beginner's guide! Maybe move some of this to the "Attributes" page, and add a link in the guide itself: "See here for a more in-depth description of attributes." It may be a bit too deep for a beginner's guide.
    Sounds like a thing I should probably do.

"If you're a mutant, each level of willpower will lower a mutation's cooldown by 5%": This is only true for mental mutations, right?
    Yup, that was a typo. Thanks for catching it.

Castes: I'm partial to agility-types myself, and found Eunuch to be an excellent caste to unlock the game in the beginning. They start with a pistol and pistol skills, and well as Shank, which is the essential skill for (most) short blade wielders. I don't think Consul is the right advice as a generic one-size-fits-all. For early survivability, maybe Praetorian? You can leave in the advice to try the Consul, though. It's true that Proselytize is a powerful and fun-to-use skill. On an even more general level, true kin are really tailored around skills, eg. play an Artifex to try out tinkering, Fuming god-child for some fascinating stuff, etc.
    I wasn't trying to tell new players to play Consuls. They just have a skill I know enough about to give advice on. I should probably write it so it doesn't sound like I'm especially endorsing Consuls.

"This [mutation points] is the only way physical mutations can be improved". I'd mention/repeat here mental mutations level up automatically if you have a high enough Ego.
    Good suggestion. I'd like people to not have to have read previous parts of the guide to understand later parts.

Anyway, very nice that you're giving the wiki some love (been thinking I should do the same, actually).
    Feel free to contribute to the guide. It especially needs contributions from someone who plays non-espers.

I don't know if I would ever recommend going to Kyakukya before Grit Gate. Goatfolk can be very dangerous at lower levels and they're all around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishmond View Post
    I don't know if I would ever recommend going to Kyakukya before Grit Gate. Goatfolk can be very dangerous at lower levels and they're all around it.
    Extremely good point. Once you've practice it enough, early Kyakukya is pretty easy. Until then, it will ruthlessly slaughter you. I've added some text to warn new players that this is something to look forward to trying, and not something to try on their first few attempts through Grit Gate.

I added some stuff on melee weapons and combat. As usual, let me know if I've missed anything important or got anything horribly wrong.