Thread: Sproggiwood Beta

Sproggiwood Beta

It's the beta forum! Post feedback here.

I'd like to suggest that if you are going to continue to allow the player to immediately choose between normal and expert modes on a dungeon, maybe the player should receive an upgrade token as well as the random item. I don't like going back to play it on easy just to upgrade.

That's an interesting point. It might feel better to require you to beat easy first with a class, though we'd have to restructure the selection sequence a bit to require you to pick a class first, or a class/difficulty combination at the same time in order to facilitate that.

Also, rainseeker, I'm assuming the dungeon you're referring to is Little Grove. That's the only dungeon that you would reasonably beat on hard before easy, and we're replacing that dungeon. "Easy" and "Hard" are sort of misnomers here. More like "Round 1" and "Round 2" -- we expect you to play both, and don't want Hard to be trivial before you beat Easy.

Well, the problem here is not so much for first-time players but for people who have played the game in the past and then re-downloaded or re-installed it. I really, really don't want to be forced (or in any way manipulated via progression mechanics) to play the easy version first if I don't want to. I actually like picking the "hard" difficulty first, even if I haven't played it before, especially if I've found the game to be too easy. Part of the solution may indeed be re-naming the modes but if that happens the modes should genuinely play differently enough to warrant a second pass.

Maybe the different mode could happen actually INSIDE the dungeon? For instance, have an "entrance" room for everyone to walk through where you can pull a lever. The first play through it's locked. The second play through, you can pull it for a slot-machine type animation that cycles through different random difficulty additions. For instance, all monsters get extra hearts, do more damage, have a high crit chance, maybe some are scared of you instead, drop more gold, or you get random creatures from other unlocked levels.

Also, if the player is really having a tough time beating it the first time through, perhaps a mode can be offered for "special" people. Kind of what happens if you keep loosing the level on the new super mario brothers.

I'm not sure how to take the sound of silence from you guys. lol Bad ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainseeker View Post
    I'm not sure how to take the sound of silence from you guys. lol Bad ideas?
    Naw, we're just busy working on stuff

e: You have valid points, but we want to see how it feels once all the dungeons are in before we start layering in additional complexity.

[doublepost]